Google has just announced what could be the biggest update ever released in a single rollout. Say goodbye to Google Places for Business and say hello to “Google My Business”.
Over the last few years, Google has released many significant updates including a new Dashboard, a review management tool, and more. This latest update involves a complete rebranding and redesign of the back end where the dashboard exists. Google Places for Business will now be known as Google My Business or GMB for short. The GMB update is a culmination of previous changes, coming together to form a single, unified, “front door” leading to a brand new-dashboard that will be the one-stop-shop for all G+ Page management from this day forward.
Before we take a look at the new dashboard, here’s a look at previous incarnations, all of which paved the way for the unified GMB:
Original Google Places Dashboard
- Edits took anywhere from a few days to a month or more to go live (Remember how long it took for photos to go live in the final months of this dash’s life?)
- A Google+ Local page could be claimed and edited from multiple accounts/dashboards (this led to data issues and even ranking penalties)
Upgraded Google Places Dashboard
- Edits to listings went live much faster, sometimes instantly
- No longer possible to have a Google+ Local page claimed and verified in multiple accounts/dashboards
- Business owners could use the G+ Social Features
- Owners could add Page Managers
As of today, all of those dashboards are history. They should disappear over the next few days. Below are screenshots of the brand-spanking new Google My Business (GMB) dashboard.
Google My Business Dashboard (GMB)
The GMB dashboard is pretty sleek. It brings the qualities of the Google Places Dashboard (review management and listing editor) together with the Google+ Dashboard (Management of Social Features and listing editor) to form an all for one, and one for all approach to Google+ page management.
Gone are the days of wondering which dashboard you need to log into in order to manage your page!
Here is the Official Announcement